The Macro Analysis Creative Research Organization (MACRO)
announces the 22nd Annual
Prize: $1000 and Conference Presentation
Entry Guidelines and Submission Procedures
- Submit one or more original works for mixed chorus composed within the past five years. Composer must have text permission. Works must be unpublished, and must not have previously won any award. There are no duration restrictions. There is no entry fee.
- Submit your materials electronically to wgooch
[at] truman.edu. Send each entered composition separately. Each entry must include the following:
- A PDF file of the score, with composer name and other identifying marks removed.
- An audio file of a performance or MIDI realization of the composition. Only MP3 or WAV files will be accepted, with a maximum size of 15 MB. Contact the Competition Chair (e-mail address above) if you have questions.
- A completed entry form, submitted as an e-mail attachment. Only PDF and Word files will be accepted.
- A biographical sketch, submitted as an e-mail attachment. Only PDF and Word files will be accepted.
- A short statement, indicating how the principles of macro analysis are involved in the entered composition, submitted as an e-mail attachment. Only PDF and Word files will be accepted. See the ENTRY FORM for further information.
- Entries with a total attachment size exceeding 15 MB may be sent in more than one e-mail.
- All materials must be received by January 15, 2020. Late and/or incomplete entries will not be accepted.
Responsibilities of Competition Winner
- The winner agrees to speak about his/her winning composition at the 2020 MACRO Workshop, to be held in Madison, Wisconsin on June 5-6, 2020. MACRO will reimburse up to a maximum of $500 in travel expenses. Important: A valid U.S. Social Security number is required in order to be reimbursed.
- The winner must be a MACRO member or must join in order to receive the award. To join MACRO, simply submit the online Membership Application and Registration Form. A valid U.S. Social Security number is also required. The winner will be notified by February 15, 2020.
For Further Information
If you have questions about the competition, please contact Dr. Warren Gooch, Competition Chair, at wgooch [at] truman.edu (e-mail).
If you have questions about MACRO or macro analysis, please consult the MACRO Web site at www.macromusic.org or contact Dr. Jamie Henke, MACRO Chair, at 21 N Park St, Room 7334, Madison, WI 53715, or (608)263-6822 (telephone), or jamie.henke [at] wisc.edu (e-mail).
Please print this form, complete it, and include it with your submission. You may prefer to print the PDF version of this form.
2020 MACRO Composition Competition
Phone_________________________ E-Mail________________________ Fax________________________
Title of Composition______________________________________________________________________
Duration________________ Date of Composition ________________ (must be 2015 or later)
Are you currently a MACRO member? Yes _____ No ______
Do you have permission to use this text or is in the Public Domain? _______ Yes _______ No
Do you have a valid U.S. Social Security number? Yes _____ No _____ ("Yes" required for entry)
IMPORTANT: Submit a short paragraph indicating how the principles of macro analysis are involved in your composition. This is a required part of the entry process. Macro analysis is a reductive analytical system that views music via harmonic motion to and from a target chord or “tonic”. While macro analysis is traditionally applied to tonal music based on “circle-of-fifths” root motion, its application can be broadly extended to include “non-tonal” music that employs any sort of directed harmonic motion or pitch centricity. Visit http://www.macromusic.org for further information.
In the event that I am named Winner in the competition, I agree to the following:
- I will join MACRO upon notification of my award, if I am not already a member.
- I will present a session on my winning composition at the 2020 MACRO Workshop, to be held in Madison, Wisconsin on June 5-6, 2020.
- I retain all rights to my winning composition.
I certify that my entry complies with all competition requirements, as listed in the “Call for Scores”.
Signed_______________________________ Date ______________________
MACRO agrees to provide to the Winner a $1000 monetary prize plus reimbursement for travel expenses up to $500 for their participation in the 2020 MACRO Workshop.
Submit this form and all entry materials electronically by January 15, 2020 to:Dr. Warren Gooch, MACRO Composition Chair
E-mail: wgooch [at] truman.edu