The amount of each annual award is $1,000.00, and includes a lifetime membership in MACRO. Award funds may be used only for tuition, music, and/or instruments. Important! This honorarium can only be awarded to individuals with a valid United States Social Security number.
How to Apply
- Either the student or the supporting faculty member may initiate the nomination process. Both steps listed below must be completed for the application to be considered. Incomplete applications or those not adhering to the guidelines are subject to disqualification.
- The student must complete and submit the online application form below. The importance of the essay is described below.
- The faculty member must submit a letter of support. (Minimum 250 words,
maximum 1 page in length.) The faculty member must be a member of MACRO
in order to submit student nomination letters. The letter must address
1) how long you have know the student and in what capacity, 2) the
student's musicianship, 3) academic ability including gradepoint
average, and 4) other aspects of their background that are appropriate
or significant. This letter should be submitted as an e-mail
attachment to Jamie Henke, MACRO Chair
at jamie.henke [at] wisc.edu. If you
prefer to submit a paper copy of the letter, mail it to:
21 N. Park St #7334
Madison, WI. 53715
- The application deadline for both of these awards is always March 1 of each year.
Awards are made based on the content and quality of the student essay, in which the student describes his or her goals as a musician, and on the letter submitted by the supporting MACRO faculty member. We want to make the application process easy for student and faculty alike, but we also want to make sure that students and faculty aren't misled by the informal setting of an online form. The writing submitted on the online form is the information we use to determine these awards.
The MACRO Board determines the recipient of the award. Decisions of the judges will be final. Students who have previously received a stipend are welcome to re-apply, but preference will be given to qualified new applicants and to students of active MACRO members. MACRO reserves the right not to present the award if a worthy submission is not found.
If you are unable to use this Web form, you may e-mail your application information to Jamie Henke at jamie.henke [at] wisc.edu.